Double Sided Lace & Knit Boot Cuffs

I'm so very excited to be sharing these 9 beautiful handmade gift ideas with 8 other fabulous bloggers today. I hope that you stop in on each one, show them some love and get some great ideas for Christmas. 

Photobucket



When Tamsyn (Max & Me) asked me to be a part of this wonderful handmade post I just couldn't wait to tackle a little project I've been wanting to do for a while. I've seen some really cute boot cuffs on Etsy but I just couldn't spend the money knowing that I could whip up some of my own. I wanted to make them for my sisters because I knew they would love them. My sisters are very different so I made two very different styles. One with lace and the other with buttons as the main embellishment.



Instead of spending the time trying to knit these babies I decided to get some thrift store knit sweaters that I liked and use the sleeves as the cuffs! Cheaper and easier! Bonus!
1. I picked out sweaters with a similar thickness and material to go together. Thicker knit ones for Jessica and thinner ones for Erica.

2. I chopped them off at the thickest part of the sleeve (For men's sweaters or to be sure of a good fit, I would just throw your leg through the sleeve and see where it feels comfiest and chop there! If the cuff of the sleeve fits best you are in luck because it's one less seam you have to sew!)

3. Turn one sleeve inside out and place it over the other sleeve so the two inside seams are together.

4. Hand stitch the sleeves together and turn them back outside out!

5. Add lace or simply tuck the edge into the cuff and hand stitch all the way around so that the knit part doesn't come undone. (With a thick knit sweater your stitches pretty much disappear into the cuff and thinner ones I would recommend adding the lace or something so that you can hide the stitches on the inside.

6. Add buttons, or ribbon if desired. Just hand stitch those on too! (No sewing machine needed here!) If the sweater comes with them, use the button from the sweater for a perfect match. (Just like my grey ones)



Supplies Needed:
2 Sweaters
Thread
Needle
Scissors

Bonus Supplies:
Buttons
Lace
Ribbon


I hope you like them! Let me know if you have any questions in the comments section and I will be sure to answer them all. Happy DIY'ing!
Photobucket


Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. I love these boot cuffs! Your sisters will love them :) They look really easy to make too so I might just make some for someone special this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Do it! I hope you share them when you do! =)

      Delete
  2. Boots with lace cuffs are probably my favorite winter look! Thanks for the tutorial. I need to make some for myself! If I wrap them up, does that still count as a handmade gift?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem at all! Definitely still counts as a gift! =) It's great to make things or yourself sometimes too isn't it? :)

      Delete
  3. I definitely want to try this out! Awesome job!!

    xo Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so in love with these! When it gets a bit colder over here I'm going to whip some up for my bestie, she will love them too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And by bestie I hope you mean your best sister right? These are super cute Melanie it makes me long for Winter even though I've got the AC blaring!

      Delete
    2. Aww thank you! I hope you share when you do! Thanks for hosting this Tamsyn! Jen- I'm sure she does ;) ;) lol and I completely forgot you guys were having summer when I made these! We are just getting into winter weather now- oops!

      Delete
  5. These are great Melanie! I'm impressed with how fast you discovered, designed, sourced and sewed these up!
    You Rock!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have also been eye-ing these for a while! So simple and I love how both of yours turned out! I just don't know if I would be able to give them away! I would want to keep them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I need to make some for myself now! Thanks for the kind words! So glad you like them!

      Delete
  7. These came out beautifully! You've inspired me to try this project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yay! I hope to see them when you do!

      Delete

Your comments make me smile and I enjoy reading each one.

I love to reply to all of your comments. If you would like to be alerted to my reply please click the subscribe by email link at the bottom of the comment form.